Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dirty Dorm Room? Clean It Up With Orbits (or your hands)!

Does your dorm room look similar to this?  Are you experiencing clothing piles on the end of the bed, shoes strewn on the floor, how about a messy desk and an overflowing laundry basket?  If you are experiencing any of the following issues you more than likely have contracted Dormitis.  This common sickness can be easily cured though with a little bit of time each day and few simple remedies you can pick up at Walmart!
I hope you guys never have to see my room like this again! 



So here we have the typical desk after 2 days of homework and Facebook.  As you can see there is the common snack, drink, papers, headphones, snicky-notes galore and books on binders.  Yes, this seems to be a reaccuring issue with most dorm room desks but have no fear it is quite easy to fix this problem in about 1 minute.  Simply just clean it up!  Most of the stuff on your desk probably has another place to go and it just needs to find its way there.  Make sure you keep up with notes and papers that are actually relevent and throw away ones that are out of date or un-needed as soon as possible.  Don't let little things such as headphones, drinks, lip-balm, sunglasses, pony tail holders, and so on clutter up your space.  Keep these little items in their designated areas.  Remember your desk is one of your most important areas while in college so keep it clean!





In no time at all you will have a clean and spacious desk that you can work at.  Again this only takes about a minute or less.  Usually if you create this cleaning as a habit you will clean your desk as it gets dirty so that it is perpetually clean.  As I always say (or just came up with on the spot) "A clean desk is a happy student!"





Now onto a little storage information.  Remeber those little items I was telling you about?  Well wouldnt it be nice to have a space to put all those items and more?  My shelf has nine 6 x6 cuby spaces that I can keep miscellanious things in.  I do not have much in them at the moment but if I needed a spot for say midnight snacks I could easily keep a basket here with all my munchies.  This shelf was about $40.00 at Walmart and has been an amazing piece for functionality and style in my room.  The shelf is only about 6 inches deep and provides so much space.  It also adds a little appeal to my room since it is outside the dorm furniture norm of chunky, printed wood.  Again an easy and fairly cheap fix for a cluttered room.




My next space saver and clutter cleaner trick is "Hang It Up!"  This is an over the door hanger that I bought for about $10.00 (also at Walmart).  I like to hang my bathrobe, purse, bookbag, and jackets on it.  This keeps these pretty bulky items off my floor, bed, or desk and in a designated spot I can easily find them.  Plus they are easy to grab and remember as I head out the door for class.  These over the door hooks are also good for closets when you want to hang belts, purses or maybe wrinkle prone clothing or in the bathroom to hold your towel or robe.  Once again an easy and afforbable space and time saver!



Finally, and one of my favorites, make the bed!  I know this may sound daunting at 8:00 A.M. when you are leaving for class but trust me it does wonders for your room.
A) It looks nice upon coming into your room later in the day.  You immediately feel welcome and comfy since your room seems much cleaner.
B) Your room does look substantially cleaner and much more spacious since tossed sheets are not attracting the eye.
C) It feels better at night to hope into a bed that has been made.  This may sound a bit silly but just try it.
And some of you may be saying "ell I never make my bed, I wont be able to break the habit of forgetting."  I used to be guilty of that too but I tried my best to remember and make time for it each day.  Now I cannot walk out of the dorm without at least straightning the covers at the least.  This may seem menial and unrelated to the space in your dorm room but it will not only make your room feel bigger or cleaner but also make you feel better.

Hopefully these few tips help you begin to keep a cleaner and more spacious dorm room.  I will continue to post hints like these from time to time on how to keep your room clean, beautiful, and spacious.
Ta-ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment