Friday, November 9, 2012

Local Library = Movie Central

2 posts in 2 days?!  Looks like I have a lot of time on my hands; or maybe just a lot of ideas flowing.

So I recently visited the local library in Troy since they had moved to this fancy new building; I was quite curious to see what all the fuss was about.  I came to learn that the library not only housed a huge array of books but also media!  After seeing the DVD section I was convinced I had to get a library card.  I also found out that university students got a discount on the card.  So for $10.00 I have gotten more than my moneys worth in movies!  All too often did my roommates and I want to have a movie night and split the 3 dollar Redbox cost for 3 possibly decent movies.  Now I just run to the library and pick up nearly any popular title.  Now I know what you're thinking, "It's a library.  The only DVDs they have are history channel documentaries."  I believed this too be true as well until I saw with my own eyes that our library had a great selection to choose from.  They even have Blu-ray DVDs too if you like some higher definition movies!  

Thus far I have picked up titles like:
  • Corpse Bride
  • The King and I
  • Indiana Jones (they have all of them)
  • Mirror Mirror
  • Coroline
  • The Indian and the Cupboard
  • The King's Speech

And this is just what I have picked up in 3 weeks!  They have the whole Harry Potter and Twilight series, many kids movies if you are looking for a heartwarming throwback, chick-flicks, horrors, comedies, and so much more.  I really recommend you check out your local library!  Even if you are not into reading you may find a cheap alternative to BlockBuster.  I assume that most university towns have larger libraries that will more than likely have a good media selection.  Also, as I said earlier, cards are fairly cheap ($20.00 at the most) and, at the rate I have estimated, defiantly worth the money.  A final reason why the library alternative is better is that the rental time is 3 days.  Redbox is a 1 day rental for $1.00 so if you are late getting it back you are charged.  With library movies you can be delayed 3 days before you are charged, much better on my busy schedule!
I hope my testimony has convinced my fellow students to check out their local library and maybe find more than just a bunch of books ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment