Thursday, October 11, 2012

Why Decorating is VERY Important!


So some who read this blog may wonder why making your dormitory so homely is so important.  
“I am only living there for a year, why spend so much time on it?”
“I only sleep and study there, who cares what it looks like?”
These are some of the common excuses I have heard about taking the time to decorate a dorm room.  Yes, you only live there for (in most cases) a year and some of you may only sleep and study there but hear me out; it is quite impressive how much decorating can benefit you.

1) Decorating makes you feel more at home and in turn makes you more comfortable.

Would you enjoy sleeping in the library every night?  Hopefully not.  The library, although some are very nice, is not a comfortable place for most people to spend the night because it is decorated with book shelves, tables, and chairs; it is just not a homely place.  Same goes for your room.   When you come home it is easier for you to get settled into a place with your name written all over it.  I have seen barren dorm rooms with simply a desk, a bed, and blank walls.  I imagine “how can you sleep or study well with these bare walls glaring back at you constantly?”  Being comfortable is so important! A homely comfort makes it easier to let your mind rest and focus better since it is familiar with its surroundings.

2) Decorating helps reduce stress.

Both the act of and the result of decorating is stress reducing.  Most decorating you are allowed to do in a dorm room is not too labor intensive; therefore, it shouldn't cause too much stress on you.  After you decorate you will be less stressed as well.  Being stress-free is VERY important in college because as students we are under some sort of pressure whether it be grades, relationships, money, or time management.  Coming home to a jail cell with plain walls will only intensify your stress level.  By having familiar décor you will feel much calmer and stress-reduced.

3) Decorating helps define you.

College is a time to figure yourself and the world out.  By decorating you can express yourself freely and remind yourself constantly of the things you love most in life.  You can also use decor as a reminder to be the person you want to be.  For example I keep a picture of Bono (the lead singer of U2) on my wall over my desk.  Not only is he the lead singer of my favorite band but he is also very active in philanthropic work.  I use this picture to remind me, consciously, that I love U2 but subconsciously to remind myself I want to be a person who helps the world as best I can.  Decorating can help you on your journey of defining yourself along with making you smile at your favorite things.

4) Who wants to live in a cell?

Most dorms come standard with a desk, chair, bed, dresser, and window blind…that’s it.  Who really wants to spend a whole year with just these few items?  I know I would not want to by any means!  Decorating simply keeps you from living in a furnished cell for a whole year.  Yes, you sleep and study there but this is also your home for the year so make it just that…not a house, a home.

Now that you know why making your new dorm your new home is so important hopefully you will begin decorating right away!


No comments:

Post a Comment